About Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
Barron's Educational Series
250 Wireless Blvd
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Founded in 1941, Barron’s Educational Series, Inc. rapidly became America’s leading publisher of test preparation manuals and school directories. Among the most widely recognized of Barron’s many titles in these areas are its SAT and ACT test prep books, its Regents Exams books, and its Profiles of American Colleges. In recent years, Barron’s has expanded into many other publishing fields, introducing extensive lines of children’s books, foreign language learning books and CDs, pet care manuals, gift books, cookbooks, business and financial advice books, parenting advice books, and art instruction books, as well as learning materials on audiocassette, VCR, Compact Disc, and CD-ROM. On average, Barron’s publishes more than 300 new titles a year and maintains an extensive backlist of well over 2,000 titles. Barron’s books are instantly recognized for their variety, reliability, and quality by retailers, educational and institutional book buyers, and not least by the reading public everywhere.
Job Opportunities at Barron's
Updated June 3, 2013
SALES REP MID-ATLANTIC REGION
We are seeking an aggressive and experienced outside sales person with a minimum of 3-5 years book trade experience to join our sales team; call on trade and non-traditional markets with our highly regarded products covering Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, DC, West Virginia, upstate New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. This is a well-established territory with many existing accounts. This sales position requires excellent in-person selling skills to manage active accounts, generate leads and identify prospects. The position reports directly to the National Sales Manager.
Qualifications:Minimum 3-5 years outside sales experience in book publishingAbility to travel extensively throughout the territory including overnight staysExcellent time management skillsExcellent communication and strong presentation skillsEffectively generate, qualify and close leadsAbility to develop and maintain long lasting relationships with key decision makersReliable strong work ethic and able to work independentlyHigh energy, enthusiasm and a love of books and sales
The successful candidate will be able to meet the demands of a hi-volume, hi-energy department. The Accounts Payable Coordinator is responsible for handling the entire accounts payable cycle.
Job Requirements:3-5 years previous accounts payable experienceFamiliarity with vendor terms, foreign and domesticGood working knowledge of MS Word and Excel, JD Edwards/Oracle a plusExcellent attention to detail, methodical, highly motivated and the ability to take initiative and work independently
Job Duties:Follows proper accounting procedure for matching and distributing invoices to appropriate individuals for authorization and codingVerifies the invoice accuracy against the purchase order or contract agreement. Confirms the receiving report for accuracy. Enter invoices into the accounts payable accounting systemProcess and balance weekly check runCommunicates with vendors to reconcile statements and resolve inquiresMaintain vendor files by updating existing information and processing of new vendors, tax identification numbers and appropriate tax formsReview accounts payable aging for open items for negative balances, voucher corrections or refund requestsCreate and update Excel spreadsheets as requiredMaintain an orderly filing system of payables and master vendor recordsAssist with other clerical duties as requiredProvide back up support for the royalty payable function
Responsibilities:Create and maintain spreadsheets including order tracking, commissions, sales projections and title databasesDraft and prepare all correspondence as directed by the supporting managersDistribute catalogs, samples and mailing lists for foreign sales reps and gift sales repsAct as liaison between Canadian sales manager/reps and Hauppauge office including sending samples and advance materialsInitiate transfers between Hauppauge warehouse and the UK and Australia warehousesCalendar appointments for supporting managers for annual book conventions, domestic and internationalDraft permission agreements, contracts, amendments, invoicesResearch list using the internet for special sales for potential accounts. Generate promotional mailing of books and lettersPrepare presentation materialsUpdate and maintain spreadsheet of current e-book availabilityComplete and maintain metadata spreadsheets for various e-book licensees
For consideration, please email your resume and cover letter with the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line to:
Director of Human Resources
Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
250 Wireless Blvd.
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Barron’s offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and employer match, tuition reimbursement and a generous Paid Time Off and holiday policy.Barron's is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V, and a member of E-Verify. We consider all applicants for positions without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disabilities, veteran/reserve national guard or any other similarly protected status.
Manuscript Submission Guidelines
- For initial consideration of your project, query letters are recommended along with your author credentials.
NOTE: We do not accept proposals via e-mail, fax, CDs, or computer disk.
- Address material to: Acquisitions Manager
Barrons Educational Series, Inc.
250 Wireless Boulevard
Hauppauge, NY 11788
- Include a self-addressed postcard if you desire notification of receipt of material.
- Include a large, self-addressed, stamped envelope to accommodate the return of your material in case of rejection.
- Indicate if the submitted material is in response to a positive reply to a query letter previously sent to Barrons; also, write "Requested Material" on the package.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcomed.
- It is not necessary to have a literary agent in order to submit material.
- Due to the large volume of unsolicited submissions received, complete evaluation of a proposal may take up to eight months. A system for tracking the status of unsolicited material does not exist. Therefore, do not call about the status of individual proposals.
When submitting a work of juvenile fiction:
- Include the manuscript in its entirety.
- Artwork is not necessary. If artwork is available, include a sample.
- Include authors credentials.
When submitting a work of adult or juvenile nonfiction:
- Include a table of contents and two sample chapters.
- Include a brief description of the work. This overview should cite the market being targeted (e.g., children, ages 2-4; secondary school teachers; etc.)
- Include authors credentials.
We will contact you if additional information or material is needed in order to properly evaluate your project. Do not send additional material unless specifically requested. It will be discarded.
If you would like a catalog, please submit a 9x12" self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Thank you for your adherence to the above guidelines.
Terms of Sale
- All prices are in U.S. dollars
- Individual Orders:Orders are shipped within one business day. Residents of California, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Tennessee, Texas and Canada must include applicable sales tax. If not satisfied, return books in original condition within 15 days from receipt of shipment for a full refund.
- Booksellers and Wholesalers:Please contact our sales office at 631 434-3311, x204 or 214 to inquire into resale terms or to open an account.
- Schools and Libraries:Please contact our sales office at 631 434-3311, x211 or 224 for information.